English Language Arts
I am very excited to announce that we will be implementing a new English Language Arts Program entitled Journeys. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, this is a complete English Arts Program that integrates Reading Comprehension and Strategies, Targeted Vocabulary and Strategies, Phonics, Fluency, Spelling, Writing, and Grammar. Each unit includes a theme throughout 5 lessons. .
Language Arts covers multiple areas. Included are the following strands with the skills that are related to them.
- Narrative Reading-Fictional stories
- Expository Reading-Nonfiction pieces
- Reading Comprehension-Understanding what is read
- Reading Skills-Elements of Literature (character, plot, setting, theme), Main Idea, Sequencing, Author's point of view, Following Directions, Making Inferences, Compare and Contrast, Summarizing, Problem and Solution, Important and Unimportant Information, Drawing Conclusions, Judgments and Decisions
- Vocabulary-Understanding word meanings
- Cursive Handwriting
- Listening-Paying attention and understanding a speaker
- Word Study-Decoding skills and phonics, prefixes, suffixes, compound words, multiple meaning words, similes, metaphors, using context clues, root words
- Word Recognition-Knowing the 220 Dolch Sight words, 95 common nouns, and making progress on the 1,000 High Frequency Words for Mastery by 5th Grade
- Parts of a Book: Table of Contents, Index, Glossary
- Research Skills: Dictionary skills, Using an Encyclopedia, Using a Thesaurus, Using a Search Engine, Using the Library, Using a Resource, Using a Telephone Book, Using a Newspaper, Read Signs, Read Advertisements, Doing an author and title search
- Fluency-Reading smoothly and with expression where it sounds like "talking"
- Accuracy-Reading words correctly
- Genres-Traditional stories such as fairytales, folktales, and fables, Historical Fictional, Realistic Fiction, Mystery,
- Spelling-Learning letter patterns and spelling words correctly
- Creative Writing-both stories and informational writing
- English Grammar-Capitalization, Punctuation, Nouns, Pronouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Adverbs, Conjunctions, Forming complete sentences
- Speaking-Ability to communicate verbally to others
- Viewing- to challenge, analyze, react, explore, and understand the medium, whether it's a printed page or visual media such as TV programs, movies, etc.
- Representing-Using and creating charts, tables, graphs, graphic organizers, and maps